Slap on a hat!
Tips for choosing and using hats well
Broad brimmed and bucket hats provide the best sun protection for the
face, head, ears and neck. Legionnaire hats also provide good UV
protection. Baseball caps do not protect the face, head, ears and neck.
A good sun protective hat will protect your eyes too.
When choosing your hat, remember:
- a hat should shade your face, head, ears and neck
- a broad brimmed style hat should have a brim of at least 7.5 cm
- a bucket style hat should have a deep crown, angled brim of at least 6 cm and sit low on the head
- legionnaire style hats should have a flap that covers the neck and overlaps at the sides of the front peak
- use a brim attachment or legionnaire (flap hat) cover if wearing a hardhat or helmet.